7.01.2009

Stop This World From Spinning

I don't believe in God. Let's get that out of the way straight off the bat. I used to believe in God and now I don't. I went to Catholic school for 11 years and was taught to believe and I did, but I don't anymore. I tried different forms of Christianity and different religions in general but none of them did it for me either. I thought about it, and thought about it some more. And the end result is that I believe in nature. I believe we live, we die, and the world goes on, end of story. I don't think we humans are anything particularly special, just a bunch of animals that had the fortune, or misfortune depending on how you look at it, of developing brains advanced enough to allow us to speak, to write, to feel, and to be major league idiots. I'm not Agnostic- I don't believe in a higher power but not organized religion. I just do not believe in God. I understand this might change the way you feel about me but I don't care. I don't want to believe in God, and I don't need you to change my mind about it.

A girl died yesterday. My son's cousin. A 15 year old girl. And I don't want to hear about how God must have a reason and that it's meant to be and that if we just trust in him everything will work out in the end. A wonderful, kind, beautiful girl, a girl who had a whole life in front of her, a girl who I've loved for the past nine years, who I held and who held my son, who I watched grow from a little girl and who I looked forward to seeing grow into a woman went swimming, got pulled under by a rip-tide, and is now dead. And there's no fucking reason for it. There's nothing that will make it better. I don't care if her mother goes out and adopts three hundred orphans in her honor or if one of her friends grows up and makes it her mission to rid the world of rip-tides, NOTHING will make her passing worth it. NOTHING will make the loss of such potential acceptable.

I don't believe in God. I don't believe there's a god out there that would allow this to happen, and if he did I would think he'd at least have the decency to stop this world from spinning afterward, even if only for a day or two...so that the ones who love her could have time to cry for what he gave us and then took away.